We are pleased to announce that we are now able to offer you the ability to immediately purchase a gift certificate on our website. While we have always offered gift certificates, previously you had to call and we’d take you information and mail a gift certificate to you. Now you can purchase a gift certificate in any denomination and pay immediately and print out a receipt. Your purchase online is secure and immediate. You can still call and we can take your information and mail a gift certificate to you that you can present to someone special.
Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
November 29th, 2013 by billfarrell
November 9th, 2013 by billfarrell
Celebrate Small Business Saturday on November 30 2013 along with independently owned businesses throughout the country and American Express will give you a $10 credit on your account when you spend $10 or more in a small business.
Small Business Saturday is a day for everyone to support the millions of small businesses that invigorate the economy and keep communities thriving. It began in 2010 when American Express founded Small Business Saturday to help small businesses get more exposure just prior to one of the biggest shopping weekends of the year. Last year, over 100 million people came out to shop at independently-owned small businesses on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Now, in its third year, Small Business Saturday will be even bigger.
To receive a $10 credit on your statement, enroll your card at www.shopsmall.com and then use your American Express card at The Spring Seasons Inn to reserve a room, pay a balance or use it in the Tea Room to pay for High Tea or Tea gifts. And if you are not visiting The Spring Seasons Inn, there are plenty of great small businesses where you can use your card. In order to receive the credit, you must enroll and use use your AMEX card on Saturday, November 30th, 2013. Don’t miss out on the fantastic opportunity!
August 13th, 2013 by billfarrell
The Spring Seasons Inn has been in business now for over twelve years. Approximately five years ago Susan opened a Tea Room at the Inn which is open to the public. The Tea Room is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 12-5Pm from around April till just about before Christmas. Susan has always sold loose tea and tea related gifts and jewelry at the Tea Room and has recently opened on online store where she will sell to those desiring these products anywhere in the United States. This is a new adventure for her so please bear with us as we work out the kinks.
The online store is located at shop.springseasonsinn.com an can also be reached off the Tea Room page of the Inn. Please check it out, purchase what you would like and let us know what you think. If you have any questions, please call us at 401.849.0004.
February 17th, 2013 by billfarrell
The Rainbow Fund was started in May, 2011 in memory of Cassie Duncan to bring awareness to Mental Health issues and to remove the dark cloud of stigmatism and fear away from mental illness and replace it with the Rainbow of Hope. All proceeds from the race will be donated to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) in hopes of getting the word out and to help as many people as possible.
Cassie was almost 15 years old when she took her own life the day after Christmas, 2005. I first met Cassie when I was assigned to tutor her oldest brother Dan while he was home from school. While I knew Dan from school, this was the first time that I had met Cassie and her family. Cassie was about five or six years old then and she was so exited to show me her litter of new kittens. Since that time I was fortunate to watch Cassie grow into the fine your lady that she was turning out to be. She had so much potential and I always enjoyed seeing her and her brothers in school or when I stopped by their farm. Sadly, that all changed on December 26, 2005.
What we can do at this time is to support the Duncan family in their efforts to raise awareness of mental illness by taking part in this race. If you are a runner or a walker, participating in this race/walk through scenic Richmond, Rhode Island will do much to help spread the word. I have attached a PDF version of the race application form. Please feel free to download it or share it with others who might be interested. When you meet the Duncan family, you’ll come to love them as I have over the past fifteen years. Race Application.
January 11th, 2013 by billfarrell
According to Coastal Living Magazine, Newport, the City by the Sea made the list of the happiest seaside towns in America. Those of us who live, work and play in Newport love all that it has to offer, from the mansions to the Ocean Drive and so much more. If you love Newport as much as we do, now is your chance to bring it to the to of the list.
Please use this link to vote Newport, Rhode Island the Happiest Seaside Town in America! The results will be published in the June, 2013 issue which goes on sale May 17th. We’ll be glad you did and so will you when you visit the City by the Sea, Newport, Rhode Island.
January 11th, 2013 by billfarrell
The Newport Winter Festival is celebrating its 25th Anniversary this year with ten days of non-stop food, music and fun. Often called New England’s largest winter festival, this Silver Sparkle Celebration will take place February 15 – 24th. With over 150 separate events scheduled, the Newport Winter Festival will offer music, food and fun for all ages.
Some of the scheduled events include the Chili Cook-Off, a Children’s Fair, a Chicken Wing Cook-Off and a special concert by the cast of BeatleMania.
Portions of the proceeds of the Newport WInter Festival benefit local charities. For times and events, please see www.newportevents.com/winterfest/
December 1st, 2012 by billfarrell
December 8, 2012, Portsmouth, RI, — On Saturday, December 8, 2012, Greenvale Vineyards will host its Annual Warm up for the Holidays. The event is held to celebrate the impending holiday season. Everyone is welcome to attend; the celebration is open to the public.
Greenvale will host live music by Dick Lupino on bass and vocals, Mike Renzi on piano, and Vin Pagano on drums. They will be performing their holiday album, “December Songs”. In addition, the celebration will include walking tours, local food samplings, and mulled wine, along with tastings of Greenvale Vineyards’ award winning, estate grown wines!
Greenvale Vineyards is located at 582 Wapping Road in Portsmouth, along the Sakonnet River. This historic property produces approximately 3,500 cases of wine each year from twenty four acres of vines, which include Chardonnay, Vidal Blanc, Cayuga, Pinot Gris, Merlot, Malbec, and Cabernet Franc. All the wines are made from estate grown, hand-harvested grapes. The Tasting Room is open 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, with tours daily at 2:00 p.m. or by appointment. For further information, call (401) 847-3777 or visit us online at www.greenvale.com.
November 10th, 2012 by billfarrell
The storm has passed and Newport is getting back to normal. Fortunately the damage in Newport, while significant was not as bad as some other areas of the northeast. Parts of Newport’s famed Cliff Walk were washed away and the walk is closed from Ruggles Avenue on down to the end. The City of Newport is looking along with the State on ways to repair this damage. The scenic Ocean Drive also suffered some damage and this too will be repaired. Teh Rotunda at Easton’s Beach also received a great deal of damage resulting in the small aquaium there closing for the time being. They were able to save all their fish and have placed them in the care of the Mystic Marine Life Aquarium.
Here at the Spring Seasons Inn we had no damage and only lost power for about two and a half hours so we were lucky. We are open for business and there is always something going on here in Newport. We are open year round so come and plan your stay in Newport with us.
July 18th, 2012 by billfarrell
As recently announced in the Newport Daily News, Astor’s Beechwood mansion which was purchased by Larry Ellison of Oracle about two years ago is slated to become the new home of Beechwood Art Museum which will house Ellison’s collection of 19th Century art. For those who do not know, Larry Ellison is the founder and CEO of Oracle Corporation and is the fifth richest person in the world. Larry also owns MBW Oracle Racing, sailing America’s Cup yachts. His team was just in Newport, Rhode Island in the 2012 America’s Cup Series races.
Ellison hired Newport architect Richard Grovesnor to reconstruct and restore the mansion to the way it looked when Richard Morris Hunt restored it in 1881. Along with the purchase of the Beechwood Mansion, two other properties north of the mansion were acquired and will be torn down and reconstructed due to the amount of work that needed to be done. When all is said and done, the Beechwood mansion will house Ellison’s collection in the large rooms on the first floor, while the second and third floor will be used for his residence. When Mr. Ellison is not in residence, the second floor will be opened to display his art in a residence setting and will be one of the finer mansions in Newport. With the amount of work that is being put into the mansion, this may become one or the more popular mansions to see on Newport’s fabled Bellevue Avenue.
June 2nd, 2012 by billfarrell
The Newport Restoration Foundation has a lot of interesting and fun activities throughout the year. These are just some of the recent ones I found out about.
- Windmill Wednesdays: On the last Wednesday of the month, June through September, Have you always wanted to see the inside of the 1812 Prescott Farm windmill? Now is your chance at this open house! Explore how this amazing machine works and learn about the importance of grist milling on Aquidneck Island. Enjoy a family-friendly evening with johnnycake tasting and hands-on activities for kids. $5.00/children 12 and under free. 4:00-6:00PM.
- June 9th Celebration of Craftsmanship: Come celebrate the proud legacy of Newport craftsmanship at Whitehorne House Museum, home to the Doris Duke Collection of 18th-century Rhode Island furniture. See woodworking demonstrations by craftsmen format he Society of American Period Furniture Makers. Stroll through the house to see a stunning collection of early Rhode Island furniture. Enjoy refreshments int he garden and stay for a mini-garden talk with our Whitehorne garden experts. $6/10:30am to 4:00PM.
- Tuesday, June 26, 2012: Rough Point Landscape History and Garden Tour: Learn about the distinguished design history of this landscape while enjoying exquisite gardens and breathtaking views. Experience the creation of Frederick Law Olmsted, renowned father of landscape architecture, who initially designed the grounds. The tour goes back 250 years to when this part of Newport was farmland and traces Newport’s development as a premier vacation spot as reflected in this beautiful property. 5:30PM Space is limited. Book tickets online or contact Liz at (401) 846-4152
- June 14th Thursday, Middle Eastern Evening: Join instructor Jamie Lee Fury of Creative Fusion Dance for a night of belly dancing demos and lessons – try it yourself or just enjoy the show and music. Enjoy Middle Eastern music and a hookah lounge provided by Genie’s Hookah Lounge. Cash bar. Admission is $5 for adults; children 12 and under are free.
- Friday, July 13, 2012 Surf Fest: See some 200 surfboards, including 1930s classics, the latest designs and Doris Duke’s own 1960 Velzy board. Shapers will demo their craft and classic footage of Newport surfers will be on view. New England’s only vintage surfboard show, curated by surfing legend Sid Abruzzi of Water Brothers. Enjoy the ocean view, cash bar, music and fresh tacos from Tallulah on Thames. 4:00 to 7:00PM each day. The admission cost is $10 for adults; children 12 and under are free. If either day is rained out, the raindate is Sunday, July 15.
- Thursday, September 13, 2012 Canine Couture: Join us for our fourth annual Fashion Show of Canine Couture at Rough Point, sponsored by Wag Nation, a Newport boutique for pets. This year’s show features dogs and their human companions in fashions from around the world. Learn about international dog breeds, see a dog training demo, and participate in a raffle for a Bellevue Avenue shopping spree to benefit the NRF and the Potter League for Animals. Doors open at 5pm, show begins at 6pm. The rain date is Friday, September 14. 5:00 – 7:30PM $10 per person, free for children 5 and younger; purchase all tickets at the doorFor more information, email Liz@NewportRestoration.org or call (401) 846-4152. Tour the 2012 special exhibition “Passport to the World: Doris Duke the International Traveler” which celebrates Doris Duke’s love of travel through photographs and artifacts.