The Newport Restoration Foundation has a lot of interesting and fun activities throughout the year. These are just some of the recent ones I found out about.
- Windmill Wednesdays: On the last Wednesday of the month, June through September, Have you always wanted to see the inside of the 1812 Prescott Farm windmill? Now is your chance at this open house! Explore how this amazing machine works and learn about the importance of grist milling on Aquidneck Island. Enjoy a family-friendly evening with johnnycake tasting and hands-on activities for kids. $5.00/children 12 and under free. 4:00-6:00PM.
- June 9th Celebration of Craftsmanship: Come celebrate the proud legacy of Newport craftsmanship at Whitehorne House Museum, home to the Doris Duke Collection of 18th-century Rhode Island furniture. See woodworking demonstrations by craftsmen format he Society of American Period Furniture Makers. Stroll through the house to see a stunning collection of early Rhode Island furniture. Enjoy refreshments int he garden and stay for a mini-garden talk with our Whitehorne garden experts. $6/10:30am to 4:00PM.
- Tuesday, June 26, 2012: Rough Point Landscape History and Garden Tour: Learn about the distinguished design history of this landscape while enjoying exquisite gardens and breathtaking views. Experience the creation of Frederick Law Olmsted, renowned father of landscape architecture, who initially designed the grounds. The tour goes back 250 years to when this part of Newport was farmland and traces Newport’s development as a premier vacation spot as reflected in this beautiful property. 5:30PM Space is limited. Book tickets online or contact Liz at (401) 846-4152
- June 14th Thursday, Middle Eastern Evening: Join instructor Jamie Lee Fury of Creative Fusion Dance for a night of belly dancing demos and lessons – try it yourself or just enjoy the show and music. Enjoy Middle Eastern music and a hookah lounge provided by Genie’s Hookah Lounge. Cash bar. Admission is $5 for adults; children 12 and under are free.
- Friday, July 13, 2012 Surf Fest: See some 200 surfboards, including 1930s classics, the latest designs and Doris Duke’s own 1960 Velzy board. Shapers will demo their craft and classic footage of Newport surfers will be on view. New England’s only vintage surfboard show, curated by surfing legend Sid Abruzzi of Water Brothers. Enjoy the ocean view, cash bar, music and fresh tacos from Tallulah on Thames. 4:00 to 7:00PM each day. The admission cost is $10 for adults; children 12 and under are free. If either day is rained out, the raindate is Sunday, July 15.
- Thursday, September 13, 2012 Canine Couture: Join us for our fourth annual Fashion Show of Canine Couture at Rough Point, sponsored by Wag Nation, a Newport boutique for pets. This year’s show features dogs and their human companions in fashions from around the world. Learn about international dog breeds, see a dog training demo, and participate in a raffle for a Bellevue Avenue shopping spree to benefit the NRF and the Potter League for Animals. Doors open at 5pm, show begins at 6pm. The rain date is Friday, September 14. 5:00 – 7:30PM $10 per person, free for children 5 and younger; purchase all tickets at the doorFor more information, email Liz@NewportRestoration.org or call (401) 846-4152. Tour the 2012 special exhibition “Passport to the World: Doris Duke the International Traveler” which celebrates Doris Duke’s love of travel through photographs and artifacts.