Wed, 13 May 2009 13:45:47
by Bruce Burdett EastBayRI.com
NEWPORT — The International Yacht Restoration School of Newport marks the official opening of the newly restored 1831 Aquidneck Mill building with ceremonies this Thursday, May 14.
The event begins at the school’s 449 Thames Street campus at 11 a.m. Ceremonies will be followed by an open house that runs until 2 p.m. to allow time for visitors to tour the historic building which is one of only two surviving mills in Newport.
Built for textile manufacturing, the mill has been converted to provide space for expansion at IYRS, a maritime research library, the school’s new visitor center, and leased space for 12 companies.
“There are wonderfully layered benefits to this restored mill,” said Terry Nathan, president of IYRS. “It also satisfies the long-term mission of the school to preserve the entire historic campus, and what a beautiful improvement to the quality of life in this neighborhood. The entire mix of benefits is very gratifying.”
Newport Collaborative Architects served as architects of the $7.5 million project and construction was managed by Farrar & Associates of Newport.
Most tenants have involvement in the marine industry and the IYRS campus. One such company is Nautor Swan, builder of semi-custom, ocean-going yachts in Finland.
Other marine businesses now located at the mill include Boothbay Harbor Shipyard, Confident Captain/Ocean Pros, Dunning & Associates naval architects, The Gowrie Group, Jamestown Distributors, and Newport Yacht Management. Additional tenants include Hilltop Motors, The Rhode Island Foundation Newport County Fund, Wild Things, and Worldways Social Marketing.
The upper bay sailing season gets going on Sunday, May 17, when the Barrington Yacht Club hosts the Prett Gladding Memorial Race at 11 a.m.
The pursuit race (staggered start) is a clockwise circumnavigation of Prudence Island from a start near the Ohio Ledge buoy. Like the end-of-season Bud Humphrey Race, it is a family-style, non-spinnaker competition.
The race is the first in the 2009 GMT Boat of the Year competition. For entry details, call the yacht club.
Kiley joins GMT
Jay Kiley has been named director of sales and marketing at GMT Composites, company President David Schwartz has announced.
Mr. Kiley has spent his entire career in the marine industry, including seven years selling superyacht rigging for both Global BSY Rigging Service and OYS Service. He has also run a ship chandelry, sold boats and managed marine finance divisions. He is an avid sailboat racer.
Mr. Kiley is married with two children, one of whom is now completing her first trans-Atlantic crossing under sail.
The great J-Class yachts of the 1930s, some of which were built at the Herreshoff company in Bristol, are staging something of a comeback many decades after America’s Cup contenders moved to smaller, more affordable boats.
Hanuman, the new replica of Endeavour II, was launched recently at the Royal Huisman yard in the Netherlands. In 1937 the original Endeavour II was built of steel at Camper & Nicholson’s yard in England for T.O.M. Sopwith to challenge for the America’s Cup against the defender Ranger.
Meanwhile, the aluminum hull of Atlantis is almost complete in Holland, and work is well along on Lionheart, also in Holland, for a spring 2010 launch.
They join the restored Shamrock V (often seen in Newport), Endeavor I and Velsheda, and replicas of Ranger, Enterprise and Rainbow.